Frequently Asked Questions

Work should be arranged so that road going vehicles do not drive onto mud on the site. This includes laying site roads and using site based plant to move materials to holding areas at the edge of a site road. If wheels and ledges are likely to pick up mud the site should anticipate this and install a wheel-wash. Either routinely, or as a back-up plan, the site should have arrangements in place to call in a road sweeping machine at short notice. Site management should be monitoring conditions outside the site regularly during periods of material movement.

The contractor in charge of the work should be able to explain what they are doing and tell you whether there is any risk to your property. The risk of structural damage to neighbouring premises during demolition or construction work is highest close to an excavation or where a load-bearing structure – such as a wall, beam or a chimney breast etc - is being removed

The Building Control Department of your local authority has the power to take action on dangerous structures. Contact them if you are concerned about work of this nature and think that structural movement is already occurring or that collapse could occur. Their website will have details of how to do this, and their phone number will be in the phone book.

If the work is still underway you can also provide the information to the HSE as we may need to find out why the contractor has allowed this to happen.

The Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 require all construction sites to have:

a first aid box with enough equipment to cope with the number of workers on site an appointed person to take charge of first-aid arrangements information telling workers the name of the appointed person or first aider and where to find them. A notice in the site hut is a good way of doing this

The appointed person includes looks after first-aid equipment and facilities and calls the emergency services when required. They can also provide emergency cover where a first-aider is unexpectedly absent (annual leave does not count). Appointed persons do not need first-aid training.

A first-aider is someone who has undertaken training and has a qualification that HSE approves. This means that they must hold a valid certificate of competence in either:

first aid at work (FAW), issued by a training organisation approved by HSEr emergency first aid at work (EFAW), issued by a training organisation approved by HSE or a recognised Awarding Body of Ofqual/Scottish Qualifications Authority